If you're having trouble uploading your design file, we can help!
Email your file to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll advise on how to get it fixed as soon as we can.
This error message will appear if you have an unclosed shape/s in your design with a "fill" color applied. Any shapes with fill colors need to be properly closed for our software to read them correctly.
What does an unclosed shape look like?
These images show the potential difference between what you see in Preview/Normal mode vs how the shape is created underneath. The black square appears the same but part of it is actually missing.
This is a very exaggerated example of an open shape and is very obvious to spot by going to the view menu and choosing out line mode. You simply select the nodes either side of the opening and join them.
How to find the less obvious places where paths are not closed.
How to fix in Inkscape
First thing to try.
- Select all the objects with a fill applied.
- Ungroup all the designs.
- From the Path menu choose the Union function.
Second thing to try.
Where the nodes are joined they have a black outline. Where they are not joined they are grey.
Select the 2 unjoined nodes and hit the Join Nodes button. You'll notice that node change to have a black outline.*
How to fix in Illustrator
- Click on an object with a fill applied.
- From the Select menu choose Same > Fill & Stroke. This will select all the lines that have the same, correct value.
- From the Window menu open the Pathfinder control panel
- Choose the Unite option to close all the paths