Forums/Discussions/Show & Tell

Staircase Light Fixture

Josh Reuss
posted this on April 17, 2011 19:29

 

stairlight11.jpg

I had this older light fixture in a stair case at home and have been wanting to replace it for a while now.
Besides it having some wiring issues I wasn't a big fan of the shiny brass so I figured this would be a fun
project to create something new using a prebuilt light fixture.

Here's a brief run down of how it turned out...

stairlight6.jpg

Ikea has a light fixture called Gyllen. The front panels are sold separately, come in many different designs
and are made of a glass about 6mm thick. This swappable front panel made it a good starting point
for my project.

There are two sizes, one with four bulbs (shown above) and a smaller
one with two bulbs. You should be able to make a faceplate for the smaller version without having
to break the panels into multiple pieces as I had to do.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60176204

stairlight10.jpg
I started by measuring the ikea light fixture I purchased and mocked it up 1:1 in Illustrator. I modified it slightly by
tossing out the long set of brackets and instead used a pair of the shorter brackets at the bottom and one set for the sides.
This allowed for a smaller panel without it looking uncentered vertically. I did end up having to drill new hole to
mount the side ones.

I settled on a Japanese fan pattern for the face. Part of my decision was wanting a pattern that didn't have
internal shapes that would simply fall out; this pattern fit the bill perfectly.

stairlight8.jpg

3mm Bamboo Amber P3 Sheet. I set it up so there wasn't any small parts of bamboo I had to glue back on.
This took a more time but saved me alot of headache on the assembly.

stairlight9.jpg

3mm White Acrylic P3 Sheet. I made sure the seam was always behind bamboo so it would stay hidden.

stairlight4.jpg

Bamboo was cleaned and mineral oil applied to the face.

I used a gel type super glue and glued the acrylic and bamboo
pieces together seperately then...

-placed glue on the outside border of the bamboo, carefully positioned it on the backer acrylic.
-covered the face with wax paper (so no glue would get onto the books)
-placed the heaviest books I could find on top.
-let sit overnight on a flat/hard surface.

 

stairlight5.jpg
The light fixture hardwired and mounted on the wall.

Installing the light fixture itself went fairly smoothly. As the actual fixture is the plug in type
I had to hardwire into the existing wiring.

stairlight1.jpg

The faceplate slides down from the top and rests in the bottom brackets. When you have to change a
bulb you just slide the panel up and off.

stairlight2.jpg

Turned on you can't see any seams; no light makes it through the joints in either the bamboo or the acrylic.

stairlight3.jpg

Another angle of the finished light.

stairlight7.jpg

Information on the light fixture box.

 

Comments

User photo
Nathaniel Alderson

Holy moly that is a cool idea!

April 29, 2011 14:40
User photo
Glenn Slingsby

Very nice. I love designs that incorporate available mass-produced items and make them better!

Glenn

July 16, 2011 06:46